The next time you find yourself searching for a way to dial up the flavor of a simple dish, try this incredible spicy vegan cheese recipe. It will definitely do the trick and add a nice tasty little kick to whatever your little heart desires! This zesty pepper jack variation shreds easily and melts just as well. Enjoy it shredded and sprinkled on top of a fresh garden salad or a baked potato. Try it melted as a Mexican queso dip for nacho chips or in a grilled cheese sandwich. This quick and easy recipe creates two servings and requires less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1½ cups of cashew milk (added separately)
- 3 tablespoons of arrowroot starch
- 1½ tablespoons of chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2½ teaspoons of agar powder
- ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- In a medium mixing bowl, add ½ cup of cashew milk, 3 tablespoons of arrowroot starch, 1½ tablespoons of chickpea flour, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of onion powder, and ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Whisk all of the ingredients together until well blended. Set the mixture aside for later use.
- In a sauce pan under medium heat, bring 1 cup of cashew milk and 2½ teaspoons of agar powder to a vigorous boil while stirring. Once the mixture has reached the boiling point, continue cooking the ingredients for an additional four minutes before reducing the heat to low.
- Slowly, begin to pour the mixture from the mixing bowl into the sauce pan while stirring at the same time until all of the ingredients are well blended and mixed. Once both recipe mixtures have been combined, return the heat to medium for an additional five minutes. Continue to stir and mix the combined ingredients during this time.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat source on the stove. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes into the mixture. Dip a spoon into the recipe and carefully taste test the liquid while it remains hot. At this point, adjust the flavor and seasoning to your own taste. If you prefer something with a little more bite and kick, fold in additional crushed red pepper flakes in small increments until the flavor meets your satisfaction.
- Pour the contents of the sauce pan into a heat-proof glass container which has been coated with extra-virgin olive oil. Place the glass container into the refrigerator and allow to setup for one hour before serving.