This very simple Cauliflower Leek Soup is absolutely mouth-watering, creamy and loaded with micronutrients.
I’m often taken back by the endless creativity in making soup. This feeling arises while working with the many luxurious ingredients which I find is one of the most enjoyable outlets for me. It’s a playful pastime, and just like an artist and her canvas, you can always alter the outcome as you go along. For this Cauliflower Leek soup, I added shitake bacon, which is one super tasty ingredient that I thought it could really use. Roasting vegetables is an excellent way to bring out natural sugars in vegetables, which is a healthier and natural means to sweeten food. This is truly a nice little touch when you’re dealing with a soup that’s so wholesome and light. Just don’t forget to add your own personal touch.
If you want to add more nutrition, stuff a lot of leafy greens into soup once they’ve wilted. I occasionally add crinkly kale or spinach leaves by hand over the pot by sporadically dropping them in. You could add Dinosaur kale, especially firm, although you can use any variety and for that matter, other nutritious leafy greens like spinach or Swiss chard, too. I avoid the bitter options like mustard greens, which could potentially or completely overpower the delicate cauliflower-leek soup.
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, or regular
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoons chicken flavored vegetable broth (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Shiitake bacon
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Toss cauliflower in mixed garlic, 1/2 olive oil, and 1/2 butter. Put on a baking sheet and sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Bake cauliflower until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Melt butter and olive oil in pot over medium heat and cook leeks and melted butter about 5 to 10 minutes. Mix flour with 1/2 cup cold water and add, add roasted cauliflower, vegetable stock and simmer about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir salt and pepper into the soup and simmer 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Shiitake bacon
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with oil, salt, and pepper. Bake along with cauliflower, turning frequently, until lightly browned and crisp.