This eye popping salad is a healthy choice which offers you a delightful combination of wonderful tastes and textures you’ll savor every time you prepare it. Quinoa, pronounced [KEEN-wah], is packed with protein, fiber and essential amino acids. This delicious recipe will create four to six individual servings and requires less than one hour to prepare and serve.
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons of toasted pistachios or pine nuts
- 3 chopped green onions
- 4 ounces of coarsely chopped feta cheese
- 1 peeled and sliced into rounds blood or navel orange
- Begin by soaking 2 cups of uncooked quinoa in a covered bowl of cold water for approximately fifteen minutes. Afterword, be sure to drain and rinse the quinoa thoroughly.
- In a medium saucepan, pour 4 cups of water and bring the water to a boil. Once the water has come to a boil, add the 2 cups of quinoa and reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan and allow the quinoa to simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa will be fully cooked once the germ separates from the seed. Once the quinoa has been fully cooked, drain all the excess moisture from the saucepan.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl and add 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and 1½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Toss all three of these items together until well mixed. Next, sprinkle the mix with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to your own taste. Place the mixing bowl aside and allow the contents to cool completely.
- Once the contents of the mixing bowl are completely cooled, add 6 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds, 3 tablespoons of toasted pistachios or pine nuts and 3 chopped green onions to the salad mixture. Gently toss all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Spoon the quinoa salad mixture from the mixing bowl onto a serving dish and sprinkle with 4 ounces of coarsely chopped feta cheese across the top. Finish the visual presentation by peeling and slicing into rounds 1 blood or naval orange and placing over the top of the feta cheese before drizzling the entire quinoa salad you have prepared with a light coating of extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkling with a few additional pomegranate seeds for color.