This absolutely delicious Greek classic recipe which we have all come to know and love is typically served much like a condiment on gyros or as the dressing on a Greek salad. When served chilled as a dip, it can become an incredible compliment to a large selection of raw fresh vegetables such as carrots, celery, broccoli or cauliflower. Even the enjoyment of typical snack items such as pretzels, tortilla chips, bread sticks and toasted pita crisps are greatly enhanced by its wealth of flavor. This zesty recipe will create one quart of dip and requires approximately fifteen minutes to prepare.
- 3 finely chopped and smashed cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar
- 2 thinly sliced shallots
- ¾ of a cup of loosely packed chopped fresh dill
- 1 peeled and grated seedless cucumber
- 2½ cups of Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Begin by placing 3 finely chopped and smashed cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar, 2 thinly sliced shallots and ¾ of a cup of loosely packed chopped fresh dill into an electric blender or food processor. Once all four of the ingredients have been added, the contents should be mixed thoroughly until finely chopped. The desired result should be much like the consistency of a cabbage slaw and not a creamed soup.
- Transfer the blended mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Next, add 1 peeled and grated seedless cucumber, 2½ cups of Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the mixture. Gently stir all of the mixing bowl contents together until thoroughly combined while seasoning the dip with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to your own taste.
- Once you have finished creating the dip, cover the mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator for approximately two hours before serving. This final step will allow all of the dip’s ingredients to blend together producing that classic Mediterranean flavor.