This quick and easy to prepare fresh salad recipe is guaranteed to not only satisfy your appetite but overwhelm your sense of taste at the same time. Quinoa has a pleasant, sweet and nutty flavor with a delicate cooked texture that is fluffy much like rice. It is also a healthy lifestyle choice that is high in protein, fiber and essential amino acids. This delicious salad recipe will create six individual servings and requires less than thirty minutes to prepare and serve.
- 1½ cups of uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup of chopped toasted pecans
- ⅓ bunch of fresh chopped basil
- ⅓ bunch of fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup of sugarless dried cherries
- 2 fresh chopped celery stalks
- 2 peeled and fresh chopped carrots
- 4 cups of stemless fresh chopped kale
- ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 dash of Kosher sea salt
- Begin by thoroughly rinsing 1½ cups of uncooked quinoa in a mesh strainer to remove any residual natural saponin coating from the seeds which could make the cooked quinoa tastes bitter. In a medium cooking pot, bring 3 cups of salted water to a boil. Transfer the rinsed quinoa from the mesh strainer to the cooking pot and return the contents to a boil. The approximate cooking time is ten minutes and the desired result should be a delicate fluffy consistency. Remove the quinoa from the heat and drain off any excess moisture. Set the cooking pot aside and allow the quinoa to cool.
- In a large serving bowl, add ½ cup of chopped toasted pecans, ⅓ bunch of fresh chopped basil, ⅓ bunch of fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley, ½ cup of sugarless dried cherries, 2 fresh chopped celery stalks, 2 peeled and fresh chopped carrots, 4 cups of stemless fresh chopped kale, ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese, ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil, ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 dash of Kosher sea salt. Toss all of the serving bowl ingredients together until well mixed. Once the cooked quinoa has cooled, add the quinoa to the salad mixture and toss one final time. Taste, and add additional Kosher sea salt if so desired.