The next time you find yourself craving a savory oriental dish, try this simple and delicious recipe guaranteed to satisfy your appetite and taste buds every time. The chewy texture of the sticky rice is enhanced greatly by the wealth of textures and flavors included in this recipe which you will absolutely adore. This oriental delight will create six individual servings and requires less than two hours to create and serve.
- 2 cups of glutinous long-grain rice
- 1 ounce of dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 raw carrots (1½ cups when peeled and grated)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh finely grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom stir-fry sauce
- 2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup of roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Measure 2 cups of glutinous long-grain rice and place into a bowl of water. Allow the rice to thoroughly soak in the fluid overnight.
- The following morning, begin by bringing a tea kettle of water to a boil. Next, in a small mixing bowl that is heat-proof, add 1 ounce of dried shiitake mushrooms and pour 1 cup of boiling water from the tea kettle over them. Allow the mushrooms to soak for one hour before straining them out of the bowl. Finely chop up the mushrooms into small pieces. Prepare the following two additional grated items for the recipe. Peel and grate 3 raw carrots until you have accumulated 1½ cups of grated ingredients. Using fresh ginger, finely grate 1 tablespoon. Set all three prepared ingredients aside for later use.
- Drain the excess moisture from the glutinous long-grain rice which sat overnight and transfer the rice to a heat-proof dish. Stir in ¼ cup of fresh water and place the dish into a steamer for thirty minutes. Be careful not to overcook. If required, additional water may be added. The individual rice grains should remain identifiable yet tender when properly prepared.
- While the rice is steaming, take a small mixing bowl and combine 3 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom stir-fry sauce, 2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Wisk the items together and set the sauce mixture aside for the moment.
- In a nonstick skillet, add 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil and bring to a medium heat. Once hot, add the previously prepared finely chopped shiitake mushrooms and grated carrots. Stir-fry the two contents together for five minutes before adding ½ cup of roasted peanuts and the 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger which was previously finely grated to the mixture. Continue stir-frying all four ingredients for an addition minute. Pour the sauce mixture from the bowl over the skillet stir-fry and blend all the ingredients together. Remove the skillet from the heated surface and set aside on a heating pad.
- When the sticky rice has finished cooking, place the steamed rice into a large serving bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, the stir-fry mixture from the skillet and blend all of the bowls ingredients together with a spoon until well mixed. This recipe is best when served warm and may be sprinkled with traditional Japanese rice furikake for additional seasoning which will add both flavor and color to the dining presentation.