The brilliant colors and bountiful flavors of harvest time each fall are always something to look forward to when you sit down to the table! This seasonal salad favorite is a welcome dining treat with the sweet nutty taste butternut squash so easily provides. The additional healthy vegan ingredients stimulate the appetite the minute the visual presentation takes place with the wealth of colors and textures present. This delicious recipe will create four individual servings and requires less than thirty minutes to prepare and serve.
- 1½ pounds of raw cubed butternut squash
- ½ cup of dried cranberries (added in separately portions)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced clove garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- 1 ten-ounce package of mixed baby salad greens
- Begin this recipe by washing and rinsing off 1½ pounds of raw butternut squash. Once the squash has been cleaned, remove the thin outer skin with a kitchen vegetable peeler and cut the pulp into small cubes. Steam the small butternut squash cubes for approximately seven to ten minutes until they are nice and tender. Remove from the heat and set aside for later use.
- While the butternut squash cubes are steaming, bring a tea kettle of water to a boil. Next, measure ¼ cup of dried cranberries and place them into a small heat-proof bowl. Submerge the cranberries in boiling water from the tea kettle and steep for two minutes before draining.
- Once drained, place the cranberries in a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of fresh minced clove garlic, ⅛ teaspoon of salt and ¼ cup of water. Blend all of the ingredients together until they are very smooth.
- In a small nonstick skillet over a medium heat, toast ½ cup of slivered almonds for approximately three to five minutes. Gently shake the skillet often to prevent scorching or burning the nuts. Once toasted, remove the skillet from the burner and set aside for the moment.
- Wash and rinse 1 ten-ounce package of mixed baby salad greens and place in a large serving bowl. Pour the cranberry vinaigrette dressing from the blender over the salad and toss the contents of the serving bowl until all the ingredients are well coated. Next, top the salad mixture with the steamed butternut squash cubes, the toasted almond slivers and the remaining ¼ cup of dried cranberries.