Vegetables and Brown Rice is a mouth-watering gravy with vegetables over steamed brown rice. I have modified a French Creole recipe to a Vegetables and Brown Rice, keeping the flavorsome meaty flavors by using mushrooms and vegetables in a savory gravy served over steamed brown rice.
Commonly a staple of Louisiana Creole and Cajun cuisine, usually served in a brown gravy based on pan drippings, which are deglazed and simmered with extra seasonings and served over steamed or boiled rice. In my vegan version, Mushrooms and vegetables are cooked with the Cajun holy trinity, a mirepoix (the French flavor base) variant of onions, bell peppers, and celery in roughly equal quantities, although, other vegetables can also be used additionally.
Generally, French recipes of rice and gravy are traditionally made from cheaper cuts of meat and cooked in a cast iron pot. Typically this is covered and cooked for an extended time period in order to let the tough cuts of meat become tender. Louisiana Creole and Cajun cuisine without the meat? You bet! My French Cajun husband requests this dish quite often.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 stalk asparagus, tops only (or 1/2 asparagus cut into 3rd’s)
- 6 large cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Vegetarian Chicken flavored broth
- 1/4 – 1/2 cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked in a rice cooker or on the stove
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season mushrooms with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 1/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides. Set mushrooms aside, and drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in the mushroom broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Return mushroom to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until mushroom juices run clear and gravy has thickened.
- Add rinsed rice to rice cooker. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil. Press on button to cook.
- Place vegetables and sauce over rice and enjoy!